Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SSC AND FBE

Ian Legrow

I was reading the book last night again, and i noticed something that i didnt notice the first 5 or 6 times ir ead it. Coach sommers says that as soon as you are able to complete three to five reps of any BWE, move on to teh next difficult one. With SSC its a steady program for 8-12 weeks. Does that mean if i can do 5x5 curl ups with ease on the first week, i have to do them for twelve more weeks or can i move on to the RLL?

Joshua Naterman

Depends on how you want to do things. You DON'T have to do that, but I would suggest that you stick with them for 4 weeks and then start doing 4-6 week SSC or non-specific modified SSC with your FBE.

Non-specific modified SSC: You are using a variation that you can complete 5x3 with, or very close to it. 13 total reps in 5 sets would be a minimum requirement. You use the exact same variation, keeping your sets the same, until you can start tacking on reps to the smaller sets. Keep this going until you have 5x5, and then continue 5x5 for 4 weeks. This will give your body enough time for the muscles to fully adapt to what you are doing. THEN see if you can move on to the next step. If you can't, either start adding more reps, more sets of 5, try 3x10 with 30-60s rest, or do the following transition model:

1 set of next advanced variation, 4 sets of 5 reps with current variation. When you get to 4-5 reps on that 1 set switch out a second set. You will now be doing 2 sets of next advanced variation and 3 sets of 5 for the current variation. You keep this up until you are doing 5 sets of 3-5 reps with the next advanced variation which will then become your current variation! Make sense? This is simple and very hard to hurt yourself with.

4-6 week SSC: First off, I will always suggest leaning closer to 6 weeks than 4 because it is a more surefire success. Ok. You pick something you can do 5 sets of 3-5 reps with and do the exact same thing for 4-6 weeks. Then you see how much improvement you get. You may jump from doing 4,4,4,3,3 to 5,5,5,5,5 or it may be a little less progress than that. You'll just find out and adjust your workout accordingly. If you do hit 5x5 I would suggest another SSC with 5x5 and then work on the transition model I outlined above.

tHANKS sLIZZ! i can always count on your youtube videos and responses in five minutes on this web site :D

Just to make sure I have this right,

4-6 week SSC is the same as coach's SSC just shorter.

When doing Non-specific modified SSC, until you hit 5x5 you progress (by adding reps) whenever you feel you can, but once you hit 5x5 you would do a 4-6 week SSC, then move on to a harder variation. If you can't move up, use one of the various transition methods, during which you would progress however the particular method you picked allows (ex-by adding reps, or sets, or replacing an easier set with a harder set) whenever you feel able, until you hit 5x5 on the new variation, wherein you would do 4-6 week SSC.

Basically NSM SSC has 4-6 week SSC built into it, but also has an element of linear progression built into it as well.

That's how I understood what you said sliz. If I'm wrong please correct me. :)

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

That's pretty much correct, and you'll find yourself using more or less the same resistance level for around 12 weeks.

12 weeks is really important when you're dealing with straight arm elements and other movements that involve extreme joint stress like MU transition does on the elbows.