Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BARELY Start > Shoulder INJURY > 6 wk REST > NOW?

ASForum

Started Easier KillRoy70 - Shoulder Pain

I finally found the original Killroy70 workout thread.

Modified a couple of bits as shown below to easier / lower exercises on the progression scale. A couple I have questions about. Did some stuff yesterday and now my shoulder has an icky pain. Its not as bad / sharp / prominent.

Post is a bit long and divided into follow sections so please read / skip to portions that make most sense:

- Yesterday Morning: Warmup, Installing Rings, Adjusting Rings & Trying out Statics etc.

- Yesterday Evening: Trying out Statics & Measuring etc.

- Later at Night: Creating a hanging spot for the rings from a Wire hanger etc., Pain realization, Hot Shower, Sleep

- This morning: Pain / Icky feeling is more prominent

- Modified Killroy70 workout: Modifications, Edits & Questions of unknown exercises from his workout.

Yesterday morning:

Did Suryanamaskars (Sun Salutations) for warmup. Usually, I close my eyes forget the count and do them very slowly, till I feel warmed up.

I installed my Xtreme Rings for the first time on my Pullup Bar that is present in passage way in the Condo/ Flat.

I adjusted the straps to find the right height to hang them at the same time had to figure out how to get into certain positions without banging my head on the floor etc. I did keep a thin mattress on the floor as a safety measure.

It involved me looking through the book & trying the Front & Back Levers starting on the Floor lying down semi crouched before getting into the inverted hang.

I was barely trying to get into the right positions along the movement curve and find appropriate height to adjust the straps. I had tried my hand at Initial most progressions for the Frog Stand (Floor), Back Lever Tuck, Front Lever Tuck, L-Sit Tuck (All 3 on the X-Rings). I was barely trying to get a hang of it, adjust straps etc.

I got the straps adjusted such that I could do an inverted hang and my head would be a couple of inches above the mattress.

I tried Frog Stands several times but failed miserably to hold any decent time worth counting. Later, I realized that I was hesitating in craning / leaning forward enough. My elbow points would dig & graze into my legs and that would not be fun.

I figured I was not as rested due to last night / lack of sleep and probably come again later.

One thing was sure, these positions hit your body in the most funky places and you realize you have muscles all over the body.

Yesterday evening:

My cousin had stopped by and since I had shared with him my awe & interest in BtGB.

He tried a couple of moves and I figured we'd assess my the Max timings for the static holds.

Doing the levers is really tough - Especially abrasive on the Palm, Calluses, Thumbs, Fingers (Xtreme Rings?) - And more so on the Arm, when I finally reached the hang position correctly.

My Frog Stand got better because I leaned more forward.

Forgot to measure Frog Stand & FL, BL were around 8-10 seconds or so I think.

What happened later at night:

My cousin left and I had to create a little 'homemade' hook thing with a Wire Hanger, so that instead of the Rings dangling in the passage way there would be some way to hang them UP, to not hurt anyone while passing through.

I tried several variations of this little project and finally got something decent done.

Now, after wards I realized that my left shoulder was giving me some icky feeling. So, I took a hot shower before sleeping.

This Morning:

The shoulder joint (anterior side) has become a prominent feeling.

I haven't even done any sets or reps of any FSP or FBE. I never got to TRY the following Workout at all.

I am wondering if I should do any workouts?

Should I rest, relax & do some relaxing yoga stretches / joint relievers or do I need to go see a Doc / Physio?

KillRoy70's original workout with some Modification Comments & Questions.

Monday:

A1) Frog stand 12 second holds (6 sets) - REPLACED - Frog Stand

A2) Pseudo planche pushup x 3 (6 sets) -- [feet supported by mini jump-stretch band]

B1) Tuck back lever 10 second holds (6 sets)- REPLACED - Back Lever Tuck

B2) XR rows x 5 (6 sets) -- [feet elevated to slightly above shoulders]

C1) Advanced tuck front lever 10 second holds (6 sets) - REPLACED - Front Lever Tuck

C2) Single leg squats x 5 (unweighted) (6 sets)

D1) PB L-sit Low 15 second holds (6 sets)

D2) HLL - half x 5 (6 sets)

Tuesday:

A1) Frog stand 12 second hold (6 sets)

A2) XR dips thumbs turned outward x 3 (6 sets)

B1) Tuck back lever 10 second hold (6 sets)

B2) Inverted chin up, tuck, on PB x 3 (6 sets)

C1) Advanced front tuck lever 10 second holds (6 sets)

C2) Front squat, 185 lbs x 3 (6 sets)

D1) PB L-sit Low 15 second holds (6 sets)

D2) HLL - half x 5 (6 sets)

Thursday:

A1) Frog stand 12 second hold (6 sets)

A2) Feet supported HSPU, hands on cinder blocks x 3 (6 sets) - What exercise is this? Please help identify which BtGB exercise this points to...?

B1) Tuck back lever 10 second hold (6 sets)

B2) Wide grip pullup, bar to base of back of neck x 5 (6 sets)

C1) Advanced front tuck lever 10 second holds (6 sets)

C2) SLS x 5 (6 sets)

D1) PB L-sit low 15 second holds (6 sets)

D2) Reverse hyper extensions x 10 (6 sets) - What exercise is this? Please help identify which BtGB exercise this points to...?

Friday: Probably too much for me? Some simpler stuff???

A1) Frog stand 12 second holds (4 sets)

A2) XR muscle ups (negatives) x 3 (4 sets)

B1) Tuck back lever 10 second holds (4 sets)

B2) TOP pulls, advanced tuck position x 5 (4 sets)

C1) Advanced front tuck lever 10 second holds (4 sets)

C2) PB L-sit low 15 second holds (4 sets)

D) Trap bar Deadlift 6x3 (probably 350-365 lbs)

1. What shoulder articulations hurt

2. Google an anatomy pic and mark it hurts

I can probably give you a decent guess, but if you want anything concrete see a doctor

A reverse hyperextension is a reverse leg lift, right? Lay on a vault or block around waist or diaphraghm, lift heels as high as ass.

If you're gonna work HeSPU, you should be doing the ones off the box if you can even do them. If you can't, work decline pushups.

Coach Sommer

Your enthusiasm simply got the better of you. You are simply working too hard, with too much volume; especially for someone new to Gymnastic Strength Training™. My recommendation is to first completely rest for one week to allow your body to recovery from your initial indiscretion. Afterwards you may resume your training but at a greatly reduced volume and intensity. Do not yet worry about establishing max static holds. You will find it more beneficial to initially spend time simply becoming familiar and comfortable with the various FSPs and FBEs before you begin more intensive training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Your enthusiasm simply got the better of you. You are simply working too hard, with too much volume; especially for someone new to Gymnastic Strength Training™. My recommendation is to first completely rest for one week to allow your body to recovery from your initial indiscretion. Afterwards you may resume your training but at a greatly reduced volume and intensity. Do not yet worry about establishing max static holds. You will find it more beneficial to initially spend time simply becoming familiar and comfortable with the various FSPs and FBEs before you begin more intensive training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Appreciate your response, Coach. Thanks for taking out the time to do so.

Enthusiasm & Excitement, Yes. Since I got my Xtreme Rings I've been procrastinating for various reasons (being sick etc)

Working hard.. I think not. I did not even do ANY of the above listed KillRoy70 workouts.

I just thought I'd start with assessing my FSP hold times (i.e. 1/2 of max hold time).

Before trying the above out (a day before I think) I tested my max for the following:

- Simple (but strict) Pushups .. Around 20

- Wide Grip Pullups - 7

I had done a couple of rounds of grease the groove thing for pullups a month back before I fell sick.

I'll give it a week of light yoga / stretching before I try again with a more cautious warm up. Any specifics you might recommend for people prone to "shoulder" issues.

It's good that you're detailed... but no one can actually pick out what you actually did which is a problem. Brevity is a good idea.

I can probably give you a decent guess, but if you want anything concrete see a doctor

1. Is this what you are talking about? Figure out which ones hurt the most?

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

2. Is this good enough of an image ? I'll try n specify which areas pain.

Please point me to a more proper specific picture if that can help me better point this out.

http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditi ... oulder.asp

1. Is this what you are talking about? Figure out which ones hurt the most?

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

2. Is this good enough of an image ? I'll try n specify which areas pain.

Please point me to a more proper specific picture if that can help me better point this out.

http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditi ... oulder.asp

1. The shoulder doesnt hurt all the time now. Just feels weird on the whole. Of the given articulations the common thing is that the feeling is more acute in the movements where my arm has to go past the "body plane" towards the back.

I also have a slight feeling at the bottom of my bicep but that may or may not be a separate pull.

I do remember during the Back Lever tuck that I felt a sharp stretch on my bicep. I was showing my cousin the BtGB stuff in the evening.. and forgot to Warmup at that time. Stupid.

2. Saw a bunch of diagrams but cant pin point which of the parts are causing the issue. From sensation, it feels most as coming from the dead center on top of the shoulder joint.

How do I distinguish if I pulled a muscle or a tendon? Or pushed the lubricating / cushion at the joint?

A reverse hyperextension is a reverse leg lift, right? Lay on a vault or block around waist or diaphraghm, lift heels as high as ass.

If you're gonna work HeSPU, you should be doing the ones off the box if you can even do them. If you can't, work decline pushups.

Blairbob - What should be the ball park number of normal pushups before one should attempt going forward towards > Decline > HeSPU etc?

Ballpark of one set Max? e.g. 20 / 25 ??

Ballpark of Broken sets? e.g. 5x5 ??

Same thing about pull ups & PB-dips before attempting BtGB's stranger Progressions & FSPs.

I am thinking I might have to build up some time & consistency with these basic exercises.

Before trying the above out (a day before I think) I tested my max for the following:

- Wide Grip Pullups - 7

I had done a couple of rounds of grease the groove thing for pullups a month back before I fell sick.

I'll give it a week of light yoga / stretching before I try again with a more cautious warm up. Any specifics you might recommend for people prone to "shoulder" issues.

6 weeks of Rest. No strain allowed on shoulder.

Visited an Ortho surgeon who happens to be a close family friend. I shared with him what had transpired during last 2 weeks and he pressed around my shoulder in different areas to see where I had more pain etc.

Strict no strain on joint for 6 weeks. + 1 pill for healing ( Ugesic ).

I hate this kinda downtime. I'd hope that I dont have to go through this again and get guided on the right

pre-hab & warmups.

I did not even start a single rep of exercise as yet.

Hmm as for the pushups, that's an interesting question. I have no idea. I want to say between 5-10.

First try decline pushups with your feet on a stool, then a chair. Then something like a kitchen counter, then wall@45 degrees(diagonal). Before trying them in a handstand, try them them with the hips piked and feet on a height so your hips are over your shoulders while at a 90 degree angle.

7 wide grip pullups sounds good.

Hmm as for the pushups, that's an interesting question. I have no idea. I want to say between 5-10.

First try decline pushups with your feet on a stool, then a chair. Then something like a kitchen counter, then wall@45 degrees(diagonal). Before trying them in a handstand, try them them with the hips piked and feet on a height so your hips are over your shoulders while at a 90 degree angle.

7 wide grip pullups sounds good.

Are you saying that a person with 7 Max Pull ups can go for a 5x5 set of Pullups with some interleaving of a Push exercise & rest? Or would you recommend a different Set x Rep schematic?

Can you suggest the same (Sets X Rep) for all the following Max count:

- Wide Grip Pullups - 7 (Normal also probably similar number. Maybe one more)

- PB Dips (Not measured yet, Lets say X. Do suggest ratio of X)

• 1 month later...

Its been 6 weeks or so. I have done practically no exercise thanks to the shoulders injury.

I did do small amounts of light non straining Yoga after 4 weeks when I felt the pain was largely gone.

Can someone please advise me on:

- What to do to assess if my shoulder needs more re-hab & recovery (besides going to the Doc - which I am tomorrow)?

- What kind of re-hab exercises would you recommend?

- What kind of pre-hab / Warmup would you suggest?

- What kind of STARTER workout would you suggest?

I am thinking of staying OFF the rings and work on some standard PRE- BtGB stuff like Pushups, Dips & Pull ups.

Also avoid "major" straining stuff.

Would that be too much to start?

Are there other INITIAL RECOVERING / STRENGTH Building Exercises you'd suggest?

It would really help to have some give me a Guided Plan to avoid injury.