Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kip to support on rings

David Picó García

David Picó García

Any tips to achive that?

Is more about leg kick or pulling and pushing down with arms (or both)?

I arrive to a position like a low dip, but i usually see that gymnasts arrive almost to support (almost extended arms).

Ive seen the tutorial from Got rings? but didnt really help me (im still not able to do it :oops: )

Thanks in advance.

Coach Sommer

Basic Kip to L Technique

A correctly executed kip to L will require a significant amount of triceps strength. Most people will find the following method the easiest for learning the kip to L:

1) Begin from an inverted straight body hang utilizing a strong false grip.

2) Quickly descend into an inverted pike hang and then powerfully kick your legs up and just slightly out. At the same time as you kick upward, pull the rings strongly to your hips. This is the area where most people will struggle, the pull needs to be performed with nearly locked arms; whereas most people will naturally want to pull with bent arms.

3) After you initiate the kick upward and the pull with straight arms to the hips, sit the chest up strongly. Do not think of this as kick pause, pull pause, sit up chest pause. But rather begin the kick and then immediately begin the pull and then immediately begin sitting up the chest. Each of the three elements should blend together seamlessly.

4) As you begin to lift your torso above the rings, begin to press down strongly with the arms. This is also an area of difficulty for most people as it takes a great deal of triceps strength to maintain the straight arm position through this transition from pull to push. Also keeping the back flat, rather than allowing it to curl, during the push down will help to elevate the torso as well.

5) As your strength improves, attempt to not allow the legs to drop below horizontal at the completion of the kipping action. At first, kipping to a bent leg L will be significantly easier than the straight legged L-sit.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

You must go trough iron cross (little higher) and push your self up with straight arms!

Kick with legs uprise and instantly start pushing your arms down trough inron cross.

And good gymnast goes with completly straight arms to support or to L-seat.

Same as the back uprise its all about how hard you try getting up there, if you don't kick enough to get up into the L position then you will never get it, the kick from the pike is where it all starts that's the root of the move and is the hardest part I use to muscle my kips they looked pretty bad but I would get up there non the less, and the presses part and having to keep your arms straight while heading up to the L position is pretty tough to that's the one part I could never do too great. It's practice, practice , practice have a coach spot you and help get you up there a few times to get use to the movement if you've never kicked out of a pike, once that's down give it a good by yourself there's a lot of movement and momentum that comes into play with this.

David Picó García

Thank you all :D

pull the rings strongly to your hips.

This i think its my first mistake, i was pulling like in a inverted row at the same time of the kick, but that of course followed me to an bent arm position.

I will practice it but thinking of the quoted above, which was my main mistake, then ill see how i can handle the rest :roll: