Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Reading

Scott Kane

The intention of this thread is to post must read books and articles that you find most helpful for programming, periodization, and general training advice. Of course those books and articles dealing specifically with bodyweight disciplines--gymnastics, acrobatics, hand balancing, Capoeira (hint, hint...), etc. would be most helpful to those of us trying to figure this all out. It goes without saying that I greatly anticipate the release of Coach Sommer's books and the launch of the WOD. I have much to learn.

BW Books:

Pavel Tsatsouline - Naked Warrior

Power of One - http://www.bodyweightculture.com

Good books, BW/Weights:

Pavel Tsatsouline - Power to the People

Pavel Tsatsouline - Beyond Bodybuilding

Fighting sports books:

Ross Enamait - Ultimate Training for the Ultimate Warror (if you´re into fighting sports)

Ross Enamait - Inside the Ring

Grtz, Danny.

• 3 months later...

Oh boy, I could list hundreds of books...but here are a few of my favorite:

Training

Poliquin

Modern Trends in Strength Training

Poliquin Principles

German Body Comp or Manly Weight Loss

Ian King

All of the "Get Buffed" series

Understanding Plyometrics

How to Write Strength and Conditioning Programs

Foundations of Physical Preparation

(Basically all of his books are top notch)

Christian Thib

Black Book of Training Secrets

He has a couple of others that are good but the titles escape me at the moment.

Ross Enamit

All of his books are great

El-Heweie

Essentials of Weightlifting and Strength Training

"Muscles-Testing and Function with Posture and Pain"

Stretch to Win-Frederick

Nutrition

Zone Diet

South Beach Diet

The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

The Paleo Diet

These are just a few of my favorite reads. I can post more if anyone is interested.

TRAINING

Starting Strength, Mark Rippetoe 10/10

The bible of Strength barbell training.

Save your knee, shoulder and lower back reading common errors of squats, deadlift etc.

Practical Programming, Mark Rippetoe 9/10

I didn't read it, but I think it's the second book to buy after SS.

It describes periodization in a simple way.

Strength Training Anatomy, Frederic Delavier 9/10

It's fantastic to see muscles in action.

Great drawings.

Science of Sports Training, Thomas Kurz 8/10

A good overview on everything: strength, speed, resistance, coordination. But not very useful.

The Navy SEAL Physical Fitness Guide, Patricia Deuster 8/10

Great book on training. Easy to read.

The Art of Expressing the Human Body, John Little 7/10

Bruce lee's routines. Lots of cardio and circuit training.

Applied Kinesiology - Robert Frost

STRETCHING

Power Flex, David de Angelis 9/10

Easier to understand than Stretching Scientifically. Very similar.

Stretching Scientifically, Thomas Kurz 9/10

Difficult to read but great for answers.

You must see the video Secret of Stretching to understand the best training routines for splits.

PERSONAL GROWTH

Tao of Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee

Maxwell Maltz - Psicocybernetics

Art of War - Sun Tsu

Felipe,

Those are some great reads. I have not read Power Flex, I will have to put that on my list. Rippetoes books are great, very to the point, and he's a great guy to boot.

I'm reading now a Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky and William J. Kraemer - Science and Practice of Strength training second edition (year of release 2006).

Very interesting 8)

How do you like Zatsiorsky's book, Gregor? I don't own, but I have about 6 pages of written notes from it after a visit to a CC library. I need to get the references to some graphs and charts in the book. Honestly, I wish there was more detailed information on accomodation, as well as working the same muscle group twice in the same day. He shows evidence of increased frequency leading to more rapid gains, which I am starting to believe is always better for rapid progress. Some other materials suggests it doesn't matter, but from what I have read, it does. Now, what I wonder about is how many times a day before it is pointless to do more. I'm not aware of any studies which have a greater frequency than twice a day.

It looks good. I'm at a beginning so far (at the page 70)....

aaa :evil: I messed up I tried to correct JL, but I deleted your post by mistake :evil:

I apologize :oops:

Luke and anyone else who has read them,

I am interested in getting Poliquin's books (some of them) as I have heard good things. I was wondering how does his books compare to Ian King's? From reading on the internet they both tend to have very similar ideas: tempo prescription, training for fibre type, time under tension (TUT), program design etc.

I have everything I need for my goals with Coach Sommer's book and the WOD's but I just like varied reading on training and learning more and more about training.

Thanks. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Both Poliquin's and King's books are great. The only downside to King's books are the shipping from Australia, yikes. Takes forever and costs a fortune! Poliquin's books are much better for fat loss and gaining size, and for guys with amazing work capacity, King's books are better for the hard gainer and would be an adjunct to gymnastics training, especially for guys that are using the gymnastic training as part of their athletic or bodybuilding training. I respect both coaches and I am Poliquin certified level I and Biosig and I'm working on my level II. I would love to see King speak at some point. Seeing Poliquin speak is incredible and the guy is full of so much knowledge you almost suspect that he's a cyborg strength coach from the future.

Chris I too am very interested in getting some of his books and incorporatnig ideas into gymnastics.

I am about to buy "Modern trends in strength training" any day now and so I will let you know what I think if you want.

Chris H Laing
Chris I too am very interested in getting some of his books and incorporatnig ideas into gymnastics.

I am about to buy "Modern trends in strength training" any day now and so I will let you know what I think if you want.

That be great gymrob! Thanks.

• 5 months later...
Guest cccp21
The intention of this thread is to post must read books and articles that you find most helpful for programming, periodization, and general training advice. Of course those books and articles dealing specifically with bodyweight disciplines--gymnastics, acrobatics, hand balancing, Capoeira (hint, hint...), etc. would be most helpful to those of us trying to figure this all out. It goes without saying that I greatly anticipate the release of Coach Sommer's books and the launch of the WOD. I have much to learn.

What about Block periodization by Issurin?

Brandon Green

Guest Ido Portal

For learning Capoeira elements, there is no book or video that does a good job.

The best setting is a class/workshop, but...

I intend to start posting in my blog some exercise sequences, movements, flows, and incorporating them into usable daily workouts pieces. Stay tuned.

Richard Duelley
I intend to start posting in my blog some exercise sequences, movements, flows, and incorporating them into usable daily workouts pieces. Stay tuned.

Cool! I am looking forward to it. Please post a little topic linking to them once you get the chance to put one up! :mrgreen:

• 9 months later...

Ido I know that a lot of time passed since this thread,but is there any chance of listing your favorite training/nutrition books? I bet that everyone in the forum,even Coach would like to take a look at that list :D