Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To Coach Sommer

Mats Trane

That is a very simple question with a very complex answer. However to answer it in the spirit in which it was asked, I would reply that press handstand variations are THE most important exercise for beginning and intermediate level athletes. No other exercise provides as much bang for the buck. Press handstand variations address strength, active flexibility coordination and balance - all within a single movement.

In fact, I will go as far as to say that a gymnast's ultimate potential can often be demonstrated by two things; his inherent sprint speed and his proficiency at press handstand variations. I have never trained a champion gymnast who was not also quite proficient at press handstands.

The standard that I expect for solid gymnasts is 7 lock arm press handstands; both beginning from and returning to a straddle L. My student Allan Bower at 8 years old could perform 16 of these. Another of his even more advanced teammates was capable of performing 30 in a row on a good day. At that time, I discontinued increasing the repetitions, dropped to 20 reps and began adding weight to his waist and ankles.

Press handstands, in all their variations, are potent medicine indeed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach,

Can you describe a press handstand? I have an idea of what it is but am unsure. Also, could you provide a link with some pictures?

Thanks

Good question.

No, press handstands are not the same as handstand pushups. Press handstands are where the body is pressed to a handstand from either a L-sit variation or from a standing position for beginners. Straight arm variations will focus primarily on shoulder girdle and back strength and bent arm variations will also add a significant degree of triceps strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

P.S. I am traveling out of state for a gymnastics competition and will be out of contact until late this afternoon.

hi coach,

i was just wondering what your general progression for it is? I'm guessing it's something along these lines:

-tuck press to handstand from standing

-straddle press to handstand from standing

-pike press to handstand from standing

-then l-sit variations press to handstand

also coach, where do you think strength for this fits in? I am referring to headstand handstand leg raises (cause pressing to handstand you use that sought of technique?)? and what about planche press to handstand (if there is such a thing)? and finally I'm this is a skill you real;y have to practice as a skill not just as a strength exercise?

sorry coach there's so many questions it's just that I like this skill and have been training strength wise lots and as a skill on and off. I'm glad you gave an answer to the most important exercise question i mean i know it's kind impossible to really tell what the best or most important one is but it's good to know your belief in press handstands.

Ed

also hope your comp goes well. also what about exercises for girls i mean i'm not asking for a best/most important exercise, i just wanted to know should their strength work include alot of the things mens does? (obviously not things like crosses or the likes but what about planches, levers?)

John Sapinoso

ed, IMO a good a press handstand is more flexibility than it is strength so it's most important to have a flat straddle and a flat pike

Things you should have down pretty well before trying straddle hand:

straddle press HEADstand

solid handstand

The main mistakes I see with press handstands are jumping and trying to use planche strength rather than flexibility.

To fix that you can start on a panel mat and have your hands on the floor, this helps lift your hips on top of your shoulders, you should be in a vertical 'pancake' stretch then press it up.

As you develop the strength and skill of getting your hips up, lower the mat.

Most people who jump do it to generate momentum, I find the best way to work the strength to eliminate that is to do them on a wall or in a head stand but i prefer the wall since it emphasizes straight arm balancing.

so with your back on the wall in a handstand do negatives at first, slowly straddling down. (pike it after you master straddle)

after that you can use weights or go up and down, on a side note I find it more effective to not go down all the way but to tense and hold just slightly above the floor before squeezing back up to the handstand.

the rest is balance, so keep working those handstands.

and one last tip, go on top of your toes for standing presses, it helps push your hips up on top an extra few inches.

For sitting presses, flexibility is a MUST.

a few things you can do to work up to it are:

L and straddle L presses on p-bars/ rings.

on floor start in a candlestick then roll up to a standing straddle, focusing on reaching your arms down and getting into a deep stretch.

once you can do that skip the stand part and press it up to the handstand

once you can do that, get rid of the candlestick part.

once you can do that try for the sitting L with panel mats and work down to the floor.

IMO it's cheating but sometimes it's necessary to go on your fingertips to get those few extra inches of clearance.

there's one other thing I do on trampoline that might be relevant but It's more applicable to H-bar staelders and insides but if you wanna try:

front 3/4 to your back and rotate either straddle or piked to a handstand

(these can hurt if you're not tight or go too high)

as for your other ?'s:

planche press to handstand is a skill, but takes a ridiculous amount of strength, and you should NOT be using planche strength on your press handstand

girls need press handstands as well and i have see a few girls do straddle planches on beam but i doubt it's commonplace.

wow that was a long post.

• 3 weeks later...