Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vital question on a USA gymnastics strength training article

gymrob

Hey guys,

I am sure that many of you have read this article at some point.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/1996/8/strength-training.html

In my opinion it is very interesting and informative. From what I can read, that article talk about how muscle size is important for gymnasts BUT maximum strength from minimum size is the most important training goal.

I also want to turn your attention to the bit where it says:

"The potential strength value measured in this way is termed the absolute strength. The highest strength value produced by voluntary contraction is the maximal strength of the athlete. An athlete's maximal strength will usually be lower than that athlete's absolute strength. The difference between the absolute strength and the maximal strength is termed the strength deficit (Bührle and Schmidtbleicher, 1981). This is because even well trained athletes cannot use all of the fibers in their muscles at once."

Now how on earth would I go about training this. Obviously I don't want to over do it on hypertrophy because that would ruin strength to weight ratio, but for me to realise your full strength potential for gymnastics I think you gotta increase muscle size a bit AND reduce the strength deficit.

So does this sound a good idea for gymnastics whether it be tumbling, planches or press handstands? Could you use bodyweight (around 70% of 1 rm) to train hypertrophy? Also how often would you train hypertrophy against strength for gymnastics? Like a week every month?

What is your opinion on this matter and the article itself?

Thankyou

The author is almost correct. Maximal strength in relation to a high degree of relative strength is of supreme importance; up to a certain point and within certain parameters. Once you have developed an optimal surplus of maximal strength, continuing to train for maximal strength as the primary focus begins to have a deleterious effect on gymnastics performance. The correct approach is that, having achieved an optimal surplus, the primary focus now shifts to being able to express that strength explosively. Maximal strength training will continue; but in a greatly reduced role and as a secondary focus.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

so once a gymnast reaches a certain level of strength it's better to focus on skill development and maybe plyometric type exercises?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this old thread up but it is still bugging me.

I was thinking. If I was to do say 3rm-5rm for pure strength and to reduce strength deficit, I could then work the reps with the same weight up to say 8 reps where hypertrophy would play a slightly bigger role. Then once I reach 8 reps, I can add more weight and take the reps back down to say 3. During the hypertrophy phase, a caloric surplus would be in order.

How does this sound? Is it a horrendus idea?

Also it would be with a routine like this:

Mon, Wed, Frid

Planche holds

Pullups

Dips

Rows

Pseduo's

Pistols

So for example 3X4 for weighted pullups, as this gets easier I will be able to do more reps (to say 8 ) then add weight and go back to 3rm. Keep in mind I will never go to failure.

Thank you :D