Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic Ring Strength 2

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

jFdz0yjVLik

This second ring strength series will continue to build upon the strength developed in the basic ring strength series 1.

It is important to note that the basic ring strength series 1 can be incrementally adjusted to suit your individual training needs. Additional dips, or pull-ups and eventually full muscle-ups should be added to the series when possible. In fact, prior to moving on to the second basic ring strength series, I would prefer that you stay with the first series until you are capable of 3 muscle-ups in a row.

Remember also that there are many variations of 360 Pulls that may be inserted into the series depending on your current strength levels. The 360 Pull variations are available here.

The primary difference between the first and second series is the introduction of a forward roll to support. This is essentially a rolling muscle-up. Beginning from a correct support position (back flat and chest up with the rings turned and elbows straight), lean forward over the rings while bending the arms and pulling the hips up and over. Continue on into the forward roll while allowing the wrists to bend into false grip. This is crucial; if you do not reset the false grip during the entry into the forward roll, you will need to pause in the middle of the roll to do so which is much more difficult.

basic%20ring%20strength%202.jpg

If you have kept your arms strongly bent, after rolling over the rings you will find yourself in a bent-arm false grip pull-up position with your chest near your hands. From here, simply perform a regular muscle-up by leaning forward over the rings, pulling your elbows up sharply until they are pointing directly to the ceiling and shifting your false grip to a support grip.

Initially I recommend that you perform your forward rolls to support in a tuck position. Once you are comfortable with these, experiment with the piked or even straight body variations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

The Xtreme Rings which have been responsible for building a great deal of this athlete's strength are available here.

I´ve noticed that that you think it is important to have the rings turned out while in support position. What is the reason for this?

Coach Sommer

Later on all advanced ring strength elements will begin from this position. If this position is not learned correctly in the beginning; there will not be a later on.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

As I just train at home I've never tried doing a forward roll on the rings before but after watching the video a few times I had a go. The first one I did was just to get over the fear of what it would feel like. After that I did quite a few and it felt really good. Didn't manage to get back into support but must admit I didn't try, I just wanted to get used to doing forward rolls. Felt strong in the initial lean/roll foward and raising the hips, almost like I could have paused and pressed to handstand. Anyway, plenty to work on.

Paul.

Nice, something to be saved for later. I never did think of doing forward roll back to support through a muscle up when I was practicing forward rolls from support.

• 2 weeks later...
David Picó García

Here is my approach.

This is not my best one, but is the one that is recorded.

I can improve some things. Slower muscle up. Support hold after muscle up ( i forgot it thinking in the forward roll), slower forward roll. Stop at the back lever. Pull up to hang with extended legs. And of course stop at front lever.

I can do those things but not in the same series. If i hold the back lever i cant pull up. if i do slow muscle up i cant hold the back lever.

Anyways im improving. I'll try the new strength series, and try to record a better one of this.

• 3 months later...
Aushion Chatman

Serotonin have you refilmed your Basic Strength Series 2 yet, or moved on to Series 3??

I just started the basic series, but have been working on my forward roll to support (haven't gotten it yet but it's only been two days)