Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Uprise Straddle Planche, Press To Handstand

Joshua Slocum

Maximilian Schmahl

Great strength! A straddle planche on rings is already nice, but pressing to handstand - very impressive!

However, I have some critisism, not for the press, but for your timing with the swing.

When you're doing a routine on the rings, there will always be some minor swing of the rings forward and backward. Assume you're in a dead hang: I will call the direction in which your face is pointing forward and the other direction backward. 

We don't want the rings to swing, so we're trying to work against the rings' swing with our own swing. Meaning, that if you're doing something like going into a swing from a handstand like you did in the video, you want to initiate that movement while the rings are travelling forward, to not let the swing get bigger within the next element. You started the movement while travelling backward. Now if you did a front giant, you would want to start the movement when you're travelling backward.

This applies for every movement of course, not only for giants.

I hope you get the idea, since I find it quite hard to describe what I mean :D

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Great strength! A straddle planche on rings is already nice, but pressing to handstand - very impressive!

However, I have some critisism, not for the press, but for your timing with the swing.

When you're doing a routine on the rings, there will always be some minor swing of the rings forward and backward. Assume you're in a dead hang: I will call the direction in which your face is pointing forward and the other direction backward. 

We don't want the rings to swing, so we're trying to work against the rings' swing with our own swing. Meaning, that if you're doing something like going into a swing from a handstand like you did in the video, you want to initiate that movement while the rings are travelling forward, to not let the swing get bigger within the next element. You started the movement while travelling backward. Now if you did a front giant, you would want to start the movement when you're travelling backward.

This applies for every movement of course, not only for giants.

I hope you get the idea, since I find it quite hard to describe what I mean :D

This is in fact and area which I am actively working on. Everyone I talk to seems to be describing a slightly different timing; I think they're all trying to say the same thing but just aren't very good at communicating it. I recently added a drill to my swing work: I'll get the rings swinging, and then try to do a cast/bail/dislocate that dampens the swing. It's helped tremendously so far. Thanks for the tip.