Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anatomical video showing muscular involvement for FL, maltese and cross

Joshua Slocum

Joshua Slocum

amazing channel!! I didnt know that FL involved triceps. Thanks for sharing

Yup! If you think about it, in a front lever there is more weight in front of the elbows than behind. So the elbows will want to bend to allow that weight to fall downward. Since the triceps keep the arm extended, they have to work to keep the elbows from bending.

Parth Rajguru

Very interesting video! The video does miss some of the relevant musculature though, but the visual was impressive.

Joshua Slocum

Very interesting video! The video does miss some of the relevant musculature though, but the visual was impressive.

I noticed that they missed the lats on the maltese. Did you pick up on anything else that was missing?

Craig Mallett

didn't mention serratus anterior at all, which is a major player in most of these movements.  Not to mention just about every single other muscle.  If we're maintaining proper form, the front line has to be switched on as well as the back line, otherwise you'd end up in an arched shape instead of a nice hollow. A major player in maintaining a hollow shape is illiopsoas, as well as TVA and the glutes.  

I find it a little bit of an odd task to try and break down which muscles are required, considering the whole body nature of most gymnastics moves and movement in general.  

• Upvote 1

amazing channel!! I didnt know that FL involved triceps. Thanks for sharing

That's mainly because of the triceps long head which is involved in shoulder extension and adduction. The other two heads of the triceps that are solely involved in elbow extension are not worked that hard in a FL unlike the victorian and manna. I do find that a supinated grip FL works the other two heads and overall triceps harder than a pronated grip FL.

Parth Rajguru

Corachobrachialis, posterior deltoid, pectoralis minor, and serratus anterior. There are a significant amount of muscles involved in these movements that are synergists and can't be mentioned/measured, but I'm surprised that these main muscles were missed.