Width of hand placement in the HS

Started by Michael Hourigan, January 30, 2014 · 5 Replies · 3,436 Views

Michael Hourigan

*I know this questions probably been answered somewhere* Sorry.

Is there an optimal hand with placement for the HS or does it vary from person to person?

I naturally tend to go for a fairly narrow hand placement but I've seen some gymnasts taking a wider placement and doing just fine.

ausswe

Generally speaking start with shoulder width I believe. I'm not even close to an expert just reiterating what I have heard on here. Although in saying that if slightly wider or narrower feels better for you then go right ahead. Just make sure shoulders are open and body align,ent is solid.

Helander

For me, less than shoulder-width is easiest to balance. I feel that there's the most room for subtle corrective maneuvers. A bit wider is the best when I need to do HSPU:s etc, since you can then better utilize chest and shoulders to do the movement, and also lessens the ROM.

 

It also depends a lot on preference, if I would train one week with only wider than shoulder width, I would be stronger with it. Still, I believe that the greatest potential is with shoulder width or narrower.

Michael Hourigan

OK so no optimal position is more preference. Thanks looking to wack out 5 x 30sec this sunday. Got 4 x 30 last night

Micawberian

I think it was Handbalancer who stated 33 cm width is what his Coach required, as measured from middle finger to middle finger. I can't remember the reason for such a precise measurement, though.

Handbalancer

Thats the width he places the canes apart. Its wide enough to press handstand through from L sit and it corresponds decently to peoples shoulder width. I have never seen anyone have any problems on those canes, neither big nor small.

 

Shoulder width is usually fine for most people. Bit wider or narrower isnt significant if it feels comfortable. For 1 arm hs it is usually better to keep that width, since going wider increases the distance needed to shift the weight over.