I wrote a long reply to a previous post on a now locked thread and can not allow all that time to be for naught. For naught!
As Cole Dano stated: "- No name calling, Yes that means not a hint, tinge or whiff, of implying you are better than someone else because of what you eat. PERIOD"
So let me post Mercurial Flow's questions from the last post and in the next post I will answer with what I know:
I have never, ever heard of cobalamin-producing microbial strains existing on their own in water or dirt that is at all relevant to us, nor has the possibility that those microbes existed in the human gut ever been presented in my studies. That also completely disagrees with the fact that people who live in areas without sanitation (tribal/nomadic populations) also develop cobalamin deficiency when they don't have access to meat due to environmental issues or poverty. Many African children have cobalamin deficiency, because their families can only manage a few crops to sustain themselves, but can't afford or look after livestock. I think the idea that cobalamin-producing microbes existed in the human gut already would have been a very important point for my lecturers to mention. They went on about cobalamin only being derived from animal sources and nothing else, so I don't know how this information escaped qualified scientists with degrees and global experience in their field. Moreover, as far as I've been told, cobalamin-producing bacteria are found in cow stomachs because they are ruminants, and don't exist in human stomachs simply because they can't survive in our digestive system. It is so alien to that of a cow/chicken/pig/sheep/fish, that it can't possibly thrive/exist for any relevant period of time. If you could cite that, I would much appreciate it. Then I could give a stern talking-to to a PhD (and won't that be fun?)
Here's an explanation of the Healthy User Bias (just the Wiki definition): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy_user_bias
Your post seems to indicate that you think inflammation is a disease in itself, and inherently bad. It would take me months of lectures to explain why this isn't true, but just for the moment you'll have to believe me when I say that inflammation is actually a good thing in many, or even most, cases. It is the cause of set inflammation that can be beneficial or detrimental. Exercise causes acute inflammation, yet it improves one's health. Inflammation is simply a response to a stimulus, and while homocysteine levels have been correlated with increased heart disease, this does not mean that this is the cause of set disease. It could easily be the effect. Though homocysteine can cause endothelial damage, and it likely contributes. Though this doesn't explain the slightly lower heart disease rates in vegetarians.
The Healthy User Bias is such an issue with veganism because if you were to compare non-health conscious omnivores with non-health conscious vegans, you'd be comparing a lot of dead vegans to a lot of living people. Veganism is finnicky enough that if you completely ignore proper variety requirements in your diet, you can easily die. If you were to just eat kale all the time, you would die. That's an example of a non-health conscious vegan. Fruitarianism is another. They are often 'health conscious' but their diet is so strange and restrictive that it is even more difficult to avoid nutritional deficiencies. Many people have come close to dying by following the FreeLee banana diet, and there's even a petition out against her.
Here's a fairly good article that mentions some of the studies I wanted to cite: http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/meat.htm
There are others I'd like to mention, but they only appear in textbooks, not online, and it's the weekend so I don't have access to college resources!
Even if vegans want to sweep cobalamin under the rug with an anecdotal broom, zinc is another deficiency that few vegetarians are not exempt from. And many zinc rich sources of food (soy, grains) that vegans consume also contain chelating phytates, which bind to zinc ions and reduce their bioavailability. Moreover, there is iron deficiency, and while plant sources do contain non-heme-iron, it is much less bioavailable than heme-iron. Various drinks such as teas and coffees contain tannins which specifically further reduce the bioavailability of non-heme-iron. Hallberg L., Rossander L. demonstrated this in a study, the abstract of which you can view (and hopefully download in full) here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6896705
Another interesting point is to ask why, in no previous period in history, has a population developed and thrived on a vegetarian diet? And why is it that the Inuit people can survive on a diet full of organ meats, without shortened lifespans? There are vegetarian populations in India, but they have just as short or shorter lifespans than many of their fellow countrymen in the same economic strata.