Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I even try it?

sasquatch

I moved to Kingman, Az about three months ago. I called the gym here and they said they only allow people 18 and under in their gym classes... I'm 19. and from the pictures I saw of their gym, they don't have much men's equipment and the owners and staff members are all girls. I would really to be back in a gym, do you guys think I should see if I could work there or would they just think I'm a weirdo cause it's all mostly girls?

Think about this, 1-2 guys in a gym with a dozen or so females your age. I've been in some gyms and the ratio is far higher than that.

One of the rec gyms I worked for didn't specifically allow adults but as a coach I could get away with playing to some degree, especially if it was in the guise of training to then pass on to the tikes. Sometimes I would stay late, which wasn't really allowed or get there early.

They might think it's a bit weird but who cares so long as you have gym access.

So even if all the coaches and owners are girls you think I still might be able to work there? That would be awesome! when you're wanting to work at a gym do you ask for an application or what? My only gym expirience was in Hawaii I went to open gym and had some private lessons for about a year. I read about gymnastic training all the time though.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

well I just joined a ballet class, on the first lesson the teacher says "ok girls......and boys". actually shes very kind to me but just a habit i guess.

Here's their website. allstarzacademy.com it says all their coaches are professionally trained. and if you look at their staff there isn't even one guy. My chances aren't looking good, right?

Maybe you could be a bit more creative in your search. As nickvb points out places like ballet studios, etc. might have the facilities you want.

It is a mystery to me why the yoga industry does not expand their offerings a bit to include more gymnastics/bodyweight offerings to appeal to the guys out there who just don't want to do all yoga. And I'm not talking pilates. I've been doing enough yoga for a while that it can get frustrating when you're doing movements that are clearly chick-centered (ie; anything that requires your ass to be on the ground.) In class tonight I requested that we do some handstands but, of course, by the end there "just wasn't time". This is a level 3 class with chick instructor. :roll: Anyway, my point is that there are not many guys getting into that stuff because you can only do so much exercise sitting on your ass.... :?

If the gym thing does not work out then maybe approach a yoga studio and propose "gymnastic time". The true amount of equipment initially needed is obviously low, maybe a ring setup, some parallelettes. If you get a good response maybe they would spring for a bit more equipment/mats...

I did look up a dance studio here, it has an acrobatics class, I don't think it has a spring floor though unless a floating floor is one. Blairbob, the gym I want to work at says everyone is professionally trained. does that mean you have to go somewhere to be trained or they train you?

I got into gymnastics with very little knowledge and worked my way up. This was done with a lot of staff training, a lot of observation, a fair amount of reading and watching video and asking a lot of questions besides trial and error.

You could look for any CrossFit gyms in the area, but honestly I'd stick to looking for gymnastic clubs if you want to do gymnasticky stuff like tumble.

All-Starz has a boys program. I didn't see any of the men's equipment in the pictures but that isn't really necessary for a boy's program. Hang a few sets of rings, build some mushrooms, take an old long horse and refit it with pommels and you basically have what you need. I worked at a gym for a time that didn't really have ANY men's equipment but it was in the works. The second rec gym I worked at didn't have a proper pommel horse or parallel bars till I finagled it and we never had a proper men's bar.

However, being a guy you might end up having to coach the boys. Ugh. What a pain. I like coaching boys but they can be a real pain in the butt A LOT of the TIME. Girls is different, but is way different than me than the boys until they are post pubescent. However, on that side is when the girls become a real pain in the but A LOT of the TIME.

Being a guy generally means they will try to make you a spotter. Being tall helps spotting a lot.

As well, there can be a different dynamic when a male teaches girls, be they children, preteens, or teens and that can be useful than when a female coaches them. I will note that some girls under the age of 4 are very cautious even frightened of males they don't know. They just bolt. I'd say 1 in 10 or maybe 1 in 20, but you get the idea.

When I first started tumbling in a college class (mostly girls) and working in a gym slightly older than you, there were perks to being a guy in a female dominated environment (Hell Ya!). However, that can be the downfall as well. If you don't talk to them because you have other stuff on your mind, you're a jerk. If you don't want to hear the yap-yap-yapping of teenage and college girls, you're a jerk. If you call them out on their silly BS, you're a jerk. If you try to avoid it all so you don't have to be a jerk, you're a jerk. I think you get the idea. Or maybe I'm just a jerk. :mrgreen:

Actually, our program director said she wanted to hire another guy which can be a good thing. More versatility. I can coach just about anything. It may be a bit awkward coaching mommy and me and 3-4yo, but I can do it. Some other guys may even coach it more girly than me, but I can then switch over to the boys easily or spot cheerleaders. Of course, we're pretty handy when you have to move stuff in the gym.

At all the gyms I've worked at, I don't think there has ever been more than 3 guys on staff. It probably works well this way. I can only imagine how it would be if there were way more guys. Butting heads at each other's throats.

Maybe you could be a bit more creative in your search. As nickvb points out places like ballet studios, etc. might have the facilities you want.

It is a mystery to me why the yoga industry does not expand their offerings a bit to include more gymnastics/bodyweight offerings to appeal to the guys out there who just don't want to do all yoga. And I'm not talking pilates. I've been doing enough yoga for a while that it can get frustrating when you're doing movements that are clearly chick-centered (ie; anything that requires your ass to be on the ground.) In class tonight I requested that we do some handstands but, of course, by the end there "just wasn't time". This is a level 3 class with chick instructor. :roll: Anyway, my point is that there are not many guys getting into that stuff because you can only do so much exercise sitting on your ass.... :?

That could be because yoga isn't about exercising.

Thanks for all the great info, Blairbob. Maybe they will want to hire a guy because there aren't any others.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

check if there is a circus school near you. Acrobatics is very similar to gymnastics, the one I go to even has p bars, no rings though but trampolines, rope, silks, trapeze etc

That could be because yoga isn't about exercising.

Definately do not want to hijack this thread but then what is it?

I was just reading this post written by a yoga teacher I somewhat know. The most relevant quote:

"The practice is intended to alleviate stress, not add extra taxing pressures to one’s life. It’s about feeling good on the inside, not purely looking good on the outside."

Back to the topic!

Sasquatch,

If I were in your shoes, I'd be more excited about the girl-to-guy ratio than the facilities available :D

If they hired me, I would be happy with the ratio, I just hope they hire guys and not just girls. Sorry Blair (or any other coaches that can answer.) I have two more questions. Since it said all their coaches are professionally trained, does that mean you would have to already have experience, or if you were new you would get training as you go? I'm guessing the first one? And my second question is, what's the best approach to getting hired, do you ask for an application or do you ask to speak to the owner?

Hopefully they provide training. More often than not, gyms that do not provide or do much training aren't very successful, especially in the recreational department which is the bread and butter of the machine.

As well, there are training opportunities through the regional congresses, judging clinics, in-house clinics, visiting coaches, gymnastic materials, etc.

Best approach. Ask for an application and be prepared to talk about your experience of gymnastics. Check out the trial for an adult class or open gym to get a feel for the gym.

I'm usually a dead ringer in a gym. I have to be very subtle about visiting other gyms to observe because I end up giving off the vibe of a coach or being asked if I am interested in a position. It's either that or why is this guy watching the gymnasts?

Again, there are typically not a lot of guys in most gymnastic gyms. Which is probably best because when guys group up it means silly, reckless stuff is going to happen (if they are young) or they are gonna butt heads if they're older. Think about it, alpha males in 10000 sq ft. It gets down to territorial-ness. It's not always that bad, but sometimes, well...

I was pretty good about it but I've never been much tolerant of young dumb arses, especially if I had to be in charge of them (since they are teaching in my/boy's program).

• 1 month later...

I finally went to the gym and filled out an application. They didn't even look at me like a weirdo! hopefully they call me.