Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Capoeira EBooks?

Seiji

you can't learn to play capeoira from a book... i don't think you could express it in words... you have to feel the energy of the roda...

I've seen capoeira before, and I'd have to agree with you.

Although, I'm mostly looking for some interesting moves to add to my breakdancing. It would help my strength and balance a lot too :D

There aren't many books in English on capoeira that actually explain 'moves'. Most of them mainly deal with the historical and cultural aspects of capoeira. There are some (good) books that explain the basic techniques of capoeira but they are of interest only to capoeira students because they deal with kicks, dodges, counterattacks and stuff like that. I'm sure there are other books out there which promise a lot but don't deliver. Generally, the only books worth reading are those written by acknowledged capoeira mestres but again, these mainly deal with 'the entity that i capoeira' and not with 'cool moves'.

Just go and check Ido's Floreio website and weblog for detailed explanations of many interesting capoeira movements and how to incorporate them into a flow of movement.

Also, instead of looking for capoeira eBooks you might want to just check out capoeira movies on Youtube, pick out the movements you'd like to learn, and ask the capoeiristas on the Web (here or elsewhere) for advice on how to train them. Ido is the authority here, I might be able to help you out a bit as well and I'm sure there are others.

As a martial artist before all else, it would be interesting to learn anything that is anything about other styles. Basically all I know about Capoeira is that it's a fighting system disguised as dancing with roots in latin america when martial arts were outlawed. :/

There are quite a few bad capoeirista's (sp?) on youtube, but I occasionally find an amazing mestre. It always renews my interest when I find one :P

While I am not aware of any e-books, I will recommend the printed book Learning Capoeira by Greg Downey. While it does not explain the moves so much, it is one of the best books I have read on Capoeira as an art and cultural experience. Actually, it is probably one of the better books I have read on the subject of martial arts (or better said, fighting arts, as many of these arts don't have much connection to the military or warfare).

I am probably not the only one who delights in learning some of the movements of capoeira while not being able to immerse myself in the actual training and experience of it. In this respect, Ido's blog has been very well appreciated. I might also recommend Capoeira Conditioning , by Gerard Taylor, which makes no pretense about trying to share all aspects of the art. Rather, it describes a few basic moves that the reader can use for fitness purposes.