Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joint mobility for geriatric populations

sean.albo

I have a question for anybody who might have an opinion on this matter:

I am interested in volunteering at a nearby residential home for elderly persons. Although I'd be happy to do the traditional volunteer work, I have been interested for a long while now in providing short "classes" on joint mobility. My aim would be to help these people who have been abandoned by society to rediscover general mobility and vitality. I think dynamic joint mobility, and progressing to Ido's joint routines would be incredibly beneficial, but also needs to be done very carefully.

My question is this: is this appropriate? I have taught Capoeira to various populations, but never to elderly persons. Are there things I must take into consideration? Should I complete an education in exercise physiology (I start next Fall, if I am accepted to the doctorate program at University of Miami) before venturing into this?

If you have to ask you probably need more more knowledge on elderly populations than some quick advice on an internet forum.

JMO.

Basic pullup, pushup, squat dumbed down to really easy progressions besides basic calesthenics. Shoulder mobility, even working on a foam roller would be good for them.

Capoeira for the elderly? Only for the ones who are still very fit and limber. I'm sure there are some basic sequences but it's going to be tough since many would need to rediscover how to move the body first.

Yes its very worth it but you must know what you are doing.

If in doubt stick to VERY basic work. Simple arm and hip rotations etc. Walking, sitting in a chair and standing squats etc.

Senior populations if not fit will be much more prone to injury than younger ones and you have to ALWAYS keep this in mind. But if you stick to safe and simple the benefits the seniors will reap can be enormous and not just physically but mentally as well. They will really look forward to the sessions as a social outlet as well so keep this in mind.

At the same time look into educating yourself if its something you are interested in pursuing. With more knowledge you will have many more tools to work with and a better idea of what's appropriate and what's not. Capoeira will really have to be modified if you are looking at working with people in a home. I'd plan on starting with something much simpler that involves very basic movements.

Hey, thanks to all of you! To clarify though, I was not intending to have elderly peoples train capoeira :lol: I do intend to pursue that one day, but definitely with more of a background (I just found out I've been accepted to doctoral exercise phys program, so it's not just a pipe dream anymore). I was thinking more of the basic range of motion calisthenics and joint mobility exercises that others mentioned, keeping it simple. The goal here is only rediscovered mobility, and as somebody mentioned, the cognitive benefits of course. Joint rotations and calisthenics. Maybe some yoga poses and sequences.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to let you guys know how this works out!

.sean