Hi All,
I was curious to know if there were general guidelines on how long it takes tendons to recover after a workout. Searching these forums and google only comes up with lots of posts about tendon recovery after injury. I am not asking about that. I am specifically asking about the regular stress they are put under from a single workout. I know that it will probably be slightly different for everyone, but given that tendons do not receive as much bloodlflow as muscles, they must take longer to recover, correct?
For example, when i do a heavy weighted workout between 3-5 reps, I may be sore (muscles) for 3 full days afterwards before I feel like my muscles are fresh enough to go again (i never feel "sore" in my tendons - probably because they have less nerve pathways). Taking into account the heavy load on tendons in a lot of gymnastics movements, would it be reasonable to say that it might take twice as long for them to be fresh again? Can I use my awareness of my muscle recovery to help give a general estimate of how long my tendons need to recover between workouts?
The reason I am asking is twofold. I want to focus my training on a specific movement - the muscle-up. I know that my elbow tendons need to be strengthened and I am starting with the appropriate progressions and will use the steady state system to avoid overtraining - but I need to have a general guideline of how many times per week I would be doing a specific workout targeting these tendons. For example, do they need 2 days recovery between workouts, 7 days, etc?
The second reason is that I am curious about coach Sommer's 4-day per week training schedule laid out in the book. I feel like this could be too much volume for a beginner, even with working the correct progressions. For example, I may work a very basic progression for the front lever, but then if the next day I am doing something for handstands, that is two back-to back days that the arms are heavily involved (I know they are targeting different primary muscles, but the arms are used both days)
In closing, I am sure much of this is should be based around a "go with how you feel, listen to your body" type of thing, which I am very good at, but I was just curious if there were some basic guidelines to keep in mind with training tendons specifically.
Thanks!
Xixor