Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Advice on Building Rounder Chest without Weights?

adrianc714

i currently have a tear drop look to my chest and i dont like it. i want my upper chest to round out and i need advice. i dont wanna used weights since i dont have access to them. can someone help. any advice would help. i tried elevated pushups( feet elevated ). i even do those with my rings. i do wide arm pushups too.just cant seem to see any size on my upper chest.

I don't even know what a "tear drop" chest is supposed to be. And quite honestly, nor do I really care to know.

How much volume are you doing? Not enough=no growth, well that and not enough food.

hahaha sorry about the teardrop term. im gonna assume that alot of people dont know how a tear drop looks like. im just flat chested on my upper chest area. aside from my routine i added four sets of pushups at 12 reps each with a weighted vest. i guess i need to add more reps like you said to see results.

as for food i think i got that covered. i eat 6 meals a day with plenty of protein from chicken, fish, beef and some protein supplements.

Eddie Stelling

Dips with a super hollow body, almost make a "C" shape with your body. Also, are you capable of ring flyes? If not you can still do them bent arm, but you can vary the angle by changing the position of your feet until you feel it in your upper chest. Also vary where you squeeze the rings together. Ending with the hands more out in front of your body (closer to your head) = upper chest, ending with them closer to hips = lower chest.

But easiest way is to do incline dumbell bench press, but with no weights that could be difficult.

I wouldn't use weighted pushups to grow your chest out, even with a vest. Weighted dips, yes.

How upper body strong are you in general?

Joshua Naterman
I wouldn't use weighted pushups to grow your chest out, even with a vest. Weighted dips, yes.

How upper body strong are you in general?

You are crazy, I have seen how well weighted push ups work, it's insane when they are done correctly.

The tempo comment is the real deal, OP. Very, very slow reps (5s down and 5s up, at least) will be your key. Fast reps wont help, and are often the reason people have trouble growing. Please don't turn this into a tempo discussion, just try out different tempos and see for yourself how you feel and how your body responds. One of the things you will discover is that other areas of your body will prevent you from performing slow push ups with lots of volume at first. Ease in, let your body become strong as a unit.

As everyone has said, you need to experiment with positions and find those that make you FEEL the contraction where you want to grow. I have found that slow XR push ups and slow PPP/XR PPP are the real deal, but you will have to mess with your position relative to the anchor point for the rings, try stuff out and you will find what you need.

thanks guys these are all good answers (except for blairbobs lol) and i will try using the tempo method slizzardman :) question with that is how many reps if im doing 5s down 5 s up? im guessing the reps would be as much as i can squeeze out huh? with perfect form ofcourse? i will try it out today. and im currenty at 4 sets of 4 reps with the xr ppp's. i never do those fast. just impossible for me to crank them out fast enough.

Philip Chubb
thanks guys these are all good answers (except for blairbobs lol) and i will try using the tempo method slizzardman :) question with that is how many reps if im doing 5s down 5 s up? im guessing the reps would be as much as i can squeeze out huh? with perfect form ofcourse? i will try it out today. and im currenty at 4 sets of 4 reps with the xr ppp's. i never do those fast. just impossible for me to crank them out fast enough.

He still gave good advice and if you had answered his questions, you would have probably gotten even more. 4x4 is probably not a lot of TUT.

My main issue with weighted pushups is doing them on your own. It's tricky putting plates on your back. Ok, it's a pain in the butt.

Vests only go up to much weight and are expensive (75lbs?) If you are hanging them from a chain, you need to be on up on a height.

Doing them with impeccable form is tricky, imo.

Some form of bench press makes way more sense here for hypertrophy. With a bar, with DB or KB (kinda dumb for these purposes as well as KB bench).

To note. I don't care about hypertrophy in the bodybuilding sense. For athletics it's understandable. I don't know why but I've always had a dislike of bodybuilding especially by the time the 90's hit. BBing the days of Arnold (I remember strongman and Arnold as a boy) and gloried past is credible. Spray tans, men in bikinis, body enhancement. Pass.

question with that is how many reps if im doing 5s down 5 s up?

Look up some data on TUT. I am thinking this will sort of figure itself out in practice.

Joshua Naterman

Agree with blairbob, gotta do your own research on TUT. No time to explain. Haven't even gotten back to two guys here who requested private help.

You don't need much weight, an 80 lb vest is more than you will pretty much ever need unless you become superman (which you will, years in the future). One of my best friends has hulked out his chest, triceps and shoulders exclusively with weighted push ups at my recommendation. It does work, but perfect form is the key. He's only using 40 lbs and he is a strong, strong guy.

thanks guys i will do some research on TUT. i just read a little and had no idea about this method. btw i did 4 sets of 4 reps yesterday 5s going down and 5s up and im feeling it today big time. im sold on this way. now only time will tell if my chest will grow or not. once again thanks :)

Joshua Naterman

You're welcome!

I would perform a faster set for warm up, personally. You don't want to lose speed, not that speed is really a part of planche stuff but still. At least do some fast push ups in your warm up.

• 2 weeks later...