Monday Morning Handstand Wamup plus thursday cubes

Started by yuri marmerstein, June 20, 2012 · 34 Replies · 12,300 Views

yuri marmerstein

tuck lifts hanging from a bar while keeping shoulder open and back straight

even try laying on your back and bringing your knees to your chest without letting your lower back come off the ground

stomach to the wall HS in a tuck with shins again the wall

Eddie Stelling

Thanks alot Yuri! I tried some of your tips yesterday and definitely nailed down passing through tuck to HS fluidly, but I was having a off day with my balance so I didn't have a very good session. Just turned it into HS walking! Going to make some videos today. Thanks again!

yuri marmerstein
Nic Branson said:
Seriously impressive! What size cubes are you using? I saw some that were 4.75in x 6in at 2.5in thick. Your's seem like a much more manageable size. Not that I am remotely close to that lol...

About 2.5x4.5x5 inches

Richard Duelley

Thanks for the tips. I need to work on shifting my weight more to my palms. I had a good session yesterday and worked a lot of freestanding on the blocks and towards the end I noticed my fingers on my right hand would be tingly after I got down. I was pressing with my fingers so hard that the edge of the block was cutting circulation off to my fingers. :facepalm: At least I can balance long enough now for that to be an issue. :D

yuri marmerstein

Yea, you have to learn to relax your fingers until you need them, which in the long run will help you both on floor and blocks as you will take less energy to balance.

When I was starting on the blocks, I literally had no feeling in the tips of my fingers the next day.

So at a more advanced level, don't think of always squeezing the ground with your fingers but keeping the weight on the palm slightly learning towards the fingers so they are there if you need them.

Just like on your feet you stand on your heels

Joshua Naterman

I don't know how I didn't see this before, but the thursday cube workout was awesome!

Nic Branson

Good info as always Yuri. Interesting on the block sizing. Not sure even with that size I could get my dumb on one side and pinky the other. Then again that might not be important. My short canes are 3.5 x 5.5.

Cole Dano
Good info as always Yuri. Interesting on the block sizing. Not sure even with that size I could get my thumb on one side and pinky the other. Then again that might not be important. My short canes are 3.5 x 5.5.

10cmx14cm is a sort of standard size. I got the dimensions from a French circus site and made some from plywood. The first time Handbalancer came to visit, he brought some of his own and they were identical to the one's I made.

There are two main grips. Front Grip - Three fingers forward and little finger, thumb to the sides / Corner Grip - Middle and Index fingers forward, thumb, ring finger one side, little finger other.

I also felt the 'standard' size too small, and asked Handbalancer about this. He says it's all about fit, find a size you like. In fact with the canes the shape can vary quite a bit as well, sometimes they are even extensively carved and shaped to form an ergonomic fit.

Anyway I happened to have a couple of small pieces of plywood left over from a project and just made a pair 12cmx19cm and they feel much better in my hands. I purposefully made them extra long so I could play with various grips and use them in other situations as well. Next time I might even go wider.

Nic Branson

I've found the forward grip more to my liking for the most part. I just never knew if the sizing was standard or to fit at all.